Friday, December 12, 2008

Tough Economic Times For Radio Jobs

I just heard that a friend of mine in Long Island just got laid off. He was a morning show host for years and years there. I'm shocked at how the economy has hurt the radio and the rest of the media industry.

I think it all started with the tanking of the auto industry. If you've worked at a radio station you know that car dealerships are what keeps you afloat. I know that when times were good, you had a tough time separating 2 auto dealers from the same stop set.

It's just not good. The failing auto industry and housing market. I've never seen it so bad in my 15 years as a morning show host.

Even air talents who have incredible ratings and have been at a station for years and years are getting laid off. No one is safe. It seems like it's everyone for themselves. I feel like I'm one of those violinists on the Titanic. Just hoping some miracle will come along and save the sinking ship before my a$$ hits the cold unemployment waters.

So what is one to do if they find themselves with a job still? Have your options ready. Work on your networking skills, develop new talents, or put your resume on Monster.com or Careerbuilder. I know I have. It's always good to be prepared in today's economy.

Yes, we love radio, but as I see it, we love to eat too.

By the way, check out my site and if you're interested, post your bio and aircheck, and maybe you'll make enough to eat on! :) ==>>>>> Radio and Voice Over Jobs...

-Chris K.
Springfield, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment